Saturday, October 1, 2011

How to Conquer the World: My Love Affair with Shoes

{by Brittany Sadler}
~jimmy choo, gorgeous huh?~
Suddenly, I stopped. There, across from me was the actual store. Sure, I knew about the designer, multiple guests had worn his shoes to the Royal Wedding. I had seen his shoes on the Internet. I had just never seen his actual store. Not in real life.
            
“Look! Jimmy Choo!” I breathed. My dad looked at me,
“Who is Jimmy Choo?”

It was beautiful just to look in the windows. Jimmy Choo, Christian Louboutin….names that symbolized beautiful shoes. And the shoes in the windows! To die for. So yes, I spent some of my time in Switzerland looking at shoes.

But my love for shoes has not been a life long thing. For many years, I couldn’t stand shoe stores. Mostly because nothing seemed to fit. As a tall 12 or 13 year old with feet to match, shoes are not necessarily the focal point of your life. Pretty much the opposite actually.

It was after that, when I suddenly realized that shoes are not just an accessory to be thrown on, they can make an outfit. I wander the aisles of DSW in bliss, looking at shoes, shoes, and more shoes! Although I do love designer shoes in theory, I don’t actually own any (my most expensive shoes are my running shoes… yeah, I know). I really love beautiful shoes that don’t, like, cost as much as a small car.

~christian louboutin~
And my favorite shoes are heels. So what if they make me almost 6 feet tall? I’m not giving up great shoes for that. I did go through a time when I was wary of anything over 2 inches, but thankfully that time is behind me. Heels just make you feel more gorgeous. Of course, this does bring complications, like the fact that I kind of need to marry someone who is tall enough that he is still taller than me when I’m wearing heels. Because, although I would give up heels for a great guy. I’d really rather not. Please, God.
~christian louboutin... they must wear red shoes in heaven.~

The best thing about shoes though, is that they can make you feel like you can conquer the world. I honestly don’t know how Alexander the Great did it in those awful mandals. There is something about a great pair of shoes that makes you feel powerful and competent. It gives you a sense of being in control. If all else fails, at least you are well-dressed.

Bring it on, world. Me and my heels can handle it.


"Give a girl the right pair of shoes and she can conquer the world." 
- Marilyn Monroe

No comments:

Post a Comment