Saturday, September 17, 2011

All Things Bright and Beautiful: Incorporating Bright Colors into Your Closet

{by Brittany Sadler}

No longer relegated to inhabit the summer months exclusively, bright colors are here to stay through fall and winter. One of my favorite trends, I love the idea of brightening the gray winter landscape with vivid color! So let’s look at how we can incorporate this trend into our everyday outfits.

6 Tips for Wearing Bright Colors:
  1. Know your colors. Know which ones look the best on you and if you don’t know already, here is a simple test. Put the item close to your face in front of the mirror. Does it make you look like you have circles under your eyes? Or does your skin look radiant and your eyes bright? If the color doesn’t work near your face, but you still really love it, wear it lower down on your body, a skirt, pants, or shoes 
  2. Since no one wants to look like a walking rainbow (well, most people don’t anyway) it is important to balance out color with neutral pieces and only do a limited number of colors at a time.
  3.  If you are wary about this trend, try one bright piece at a time. Nothing makes a jeans-and-turtleneck outfit pop like a vivid purple scarf or a bright pink bag!
  4. Don’t be afraid to try new things. So maybe there’s this skirt in you closet that you only wear with one certain top (you know which one I’m talking about). Next time you reach for it, pair it with something new, a bright color that either contrast with it or complements it. Yes, you can wear things that don’t “technically” match. And it can look fabulous.
  5. If you want one statement piece, go for a pair of color-saturated flats. You can wear them with almost anything and they go a long way toward making a boring outfit into an amazing one.
  6. Have fun! Experiment with different colors and color combinations. A beautiful color can make your day! 

And now, a list of beautifully colored items to brighten up your fall wardrobe! Hand picked by me, great colors and great prices:

Every girl needs a pair of red shoes! And these cute perky flats do the job with aplomb. $20, Target.
I just love the color of this cardigan. The flattering ¾ length sleeves make this a cardigan that can bridge the seasons. $20, Target. Also comes in pink and gray.

"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken."
Oscar Wilde

These bracelets make me think of tropical paradises with blue, blue water and hot sun. A perfect pick-me-up for chilly winter days. $10, Old Navy. Also comes in coral and white.
In a sleek cross-body style, this chic purse will bring a welcome pop of color to neutral winter coats. $20, Peebles. Also comes in brown


The slim silhouette of these vivid pants is very reminiscent of Audrey Hepburn’s signature style. And the gorgeous colors make the slightly higher price tag worth it! Price differs by color. $36 and up, ASOS. Also comes in mustard, pink, deep red, blue-green, and black.



Do you like wearing bright colors? If so, how do you incorporate them into your wardrobe? 





4 comments:

  1. Wearing bright colors is one of my favorite things, as far as my wardrobe goes!
    When I wear a statement piece I often try to bring out a subtle accent somewhere else to help balance the statement. A good example is the last picture (royal blue pants). The pants are her statement. However, she countered it by matching her belt shoes and purse to off-set the statement, while not completely overpowering it or enhancing it too much by wearing a huge royal blue necklace.
    I also tend to go all out on colors. I'm one of those people who is on one side of the pendulum or the other, but not in between (ie, happy medium). So, when I go all colors I tend to wear a vibrant unique skirt with a solid coordinating vibrant top (I'll often tone it down with a simple white cardigan). And, I'll probably wear some dangly matching earrings!
    I LOVE wearing colors--God gave them to us and I think He meant them to be enjoyed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Color makes me so happy!
    And the balance is the key, some great neutral basics can really make your bright colors pop.
    Also another good tip is that if you want to wear colors on the opposite side of the color wheel ( orange and purple, blue and yellow) wear one in a darker or more vivid shade and the other in a softer shade. This keeps the outfit from looking overdone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Due to this post, I scoured the Targets in our area to find those red shoes. I LOVE them! I convinced my mom to get herself a matching pair! :)

    -Noelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noelle, I'm so glad you liked the shoes! I thought they were so cute:) Check back soon for some more in depth looks at fall trends!

    ReplyDelete